How We Work
WE NEED TO DO THINGS DIFFERENTLY. FOOD SYSTEMS ARE A SIGNIFICANT FACTOR IN THE CREATION OF PRESSING GLOBAL CONCERNS AND – IMPORTANTLY – THEY CAN PROVIDE BRILLIANT PATHWAYS TO THE SOLUTIONS.
Since 2012, the Global Alliance has been engaged in innovating a new approach to funder collaboration at a global scale. Within and beyond the Global Alliance we convene diverse perspectives together to inform how we, as a global community, shape the future of food together.
How we work is a critical component to realizing positive change. Our collective approach allows us, together with others, to unify and amplify our voice, and to reach the global stage at a scale and scope we might not otherwise achieve individually.
We emphasize active participation and engagement of member foundations guided by six shared operational values that define how we will work together as an alliance and with other partners and allies:
- Be principles-based and attend to the whole: We are guided by a set of six principles that: are meaningful to those expected to follow them; are adhered to in practice; attend to the interconnected dynamics and interdependencies of the system; and, lead us to the desired results of food systems transformation.
- Collaborate with all stakeholders: We nurture deep and trusting relationships as the basis for long-term, creative, and productive collaborations, within the Global Alliance and with a broad range of diverse system actors across sectors and scales to advance collective aspirations for systems change.
- Respect and value difference: We respect diverse institutional and individual perspectives, opinions, outlooks, and lived experience, acknowledging issues of power and approaching relationships with humility, openness, honesty, and a spirit of possibility.
- Focus on the best and highest role: We aim to be a strategic alliance by being needs-based, focused, responsive, and solutions-oriented in order to influence landscape-level shifts through achievable goals across timescales suited to our specific role and strengths as an alliance of philanthropic foundations.
- Remain relevant: Working at the global level, we value understanding the context in which we operate, being relevant across the different geographies and scales where our member foundations work, and connecting the significance of our work with other related initiatives.
- Learn and adapt: We infuse our efforts with reflective monitoring and evaluation as we work within complex systems in order to inform structure and strategies, and enhance effectiveness, if and as our strategic intent requires.
We are not in the business of institution building; we are creating an alliance that is collaborative, needs-based, focused, and responsive to the contexts in which we are working.