Power Shift Webinar: Why we need to wean our industrial food systems off fossil fuels
Our modern industrialized food system is highly energy intensive. For example, fossil fuels are used in pesticides and synthetic fertilizer production and application, as well as for plastics throughout the value chain (including food packaging). Transportation, refrigeration, industrial and home cooking, and food waste also consume vast amounts of energy.
As fossil fuel companies entrench their influence, governments worldwide must rapidly shift to sustainable practices like agroecology, regenerative agriculture, and local value chains. Hosting COP28, the United Arab Emirates, a major oil producer, signals a positive step, but it must not divert attention from the pressing need to phase out fossil fuels to avert climate catastrophe.
During this webinar, we will dive deep into our newest study titled “Power Shift: Why we need to wean our food systems off fossil fuels” and the accompanying discussion paper, “Toward Fossil Fuel-Free Food: Why greater collaboration between food and energy systems players is key.” These reports explore the intersection of food and energy systems and their profound implications. We will present the key findings and also offer insightful commentary on their relevance to the critical discussions at COP28.
- Tiara Lui, Dalberg Advisors
- Daisy Dunne, Special Correspondent, Carbon Brief
- Maria Michela Morese, Energy Team Leader and Senior Natural Resources Officer, FAO
- Teresa Anderson, Global Lead on Climate Justice, Action Aid International
- Alenz Avril P. De Torres, Deputy Executive Director, Centre for Energy, Ecology and Development, Philippines
- Shaikh Tanveer Hossain, Director, Policy & Strategy, IFOAM – Organics Asia
- Alex Cheval, Associate Partner, Dalberg Advisors
- Darrin Qualman, Director of Climate Crisis Policy and Action, National Farmers Union, Canada
- Saul Elias Lopez, President, Venezuela Family Farmers Association
- Carina Millstone, Executive Director, Feedback Global
- Asha Sharma, Organizing Co-Director, Pesticide Action Network North America
- Adria Vasil, Managing Editor, Corporate Knights Magazine
Date: 14 November 2023
Time: Option 1: 08:00 – 09:00 UTC. Option 2: 16:00 – 17:00 UTC
Register: Option 1 here or Option 2 here
Language: Delivered in English with Spanish and French interpretation
Langue: Conférence en Anglais avec services d’interprétation en Espagnol et en Français
Idioma: Sesión en inglés con interpretación al Español y Francés.
Start making an impact with us
Subscribe to receive all the latest updates straight to your inbox