Creating Better Health for People, the Planet, and Animals: Food Systems Insights for Health Professionals
06 July 2022
The report Creating Better Health for People, Animals, and the Planet: Food Systems Insights for Health Professionals showcases 10 food-focused initiatives that have taken action to promote human, ecological, and animal health and well-being. From Brazil, Canada, France, Italy, the Netherlands, Nigeria, Taiwan, Thailand, Uganda, and the United States, the case studies in this report demonstrate how the health sector can play a critical role in food systems transformation.
The initiatives profiled provide healthcare and public health professionals with evidence and ideas for how food–health action can be taken at local, regional, national, and international levels – including:
- Public health, food, animal health, and planetary health workers’ collaboration is necessary to advance positive food–health outcomes
- Appreciation of lived experiences and Indigenous knowledge is key to better food-health outcomes
- Medical institutions, including hospitals, have a role to play support better availability of healthy foods
- Healthcare professionals can influence government policy in a way that improves the health and well-being of the communities they serve.
- Culturally appropriate nutrition education, food literacy, and skills training should be advocated for through schools, health and social services, and community settings.