Food Systems Fit for Purpose:
Bold Leadership to Prioritize Human, Animal, and Ecological Health
14 October 2020, 11:00 – 12:30 CET
Register for your place here: http://ow.ly/eUB150BHsiD.
In place of its annual meeting, the Committee on World Food Security (CFS) is organizing a high-level virtual special event on global governance of food security and nutrition, 13 – 15 October 2020. The Global Alliance for the Future of Food is pleased to co-host a partner event — Food Systems Fit for Purpose: Bold Leadership to Prioritize Human, Animal, and Ecological Health — on 14 October, 11-12.30 CET.
Delivered in partnership with the Food Foundation (UK), Gardens for Health International (Rwanda), Healthcare Without Harm, Switzerland, UN Environment Programme, World Obesity Federation, and the World Health Organization, this event will bring together a broad range of stakeholders to discuss the need for a new narrative and action around systemic solutions for global food systems. Panellists will share stories of global and local government leadership and examples of holistic policies and practices that deliver healthy, resilient, and sustainable food systems for all.
From COVID-19 and famine to the climate crisis, “build back better” isn’t enough of a rallying call to respond to the scale of the emergencies we face today. With food systems holding the key to many of the solutions we need, we must urgently shift the prevailing narratives and mindsets that are holding back change. Breaking away from simple narratives about “yield” and food production at all costs, it’s time to recognize how fundamental animal and ecological health are to human health, well-being, and happiness.
– Alwin Kopse, Deputy Assistant Director General, Federal Office for Agriculture, Switzerland
– Dr. Dao The Ahn, Vice President, Vietnamese Academy of Agricultural Sciences
– Dr. Francesco Branca, Director, Department of Nutrition and Food Safety, World Health Organization
– Dr. Lorena Rodriguez, Professor, Escuela de Salud Pública, Universidad de Chile
– Nilani Sritharan, Group Healthy Living Manager, Sainsbury’s UK
– Solomon Makuza, Executive Director, Gardens for Health International, Rwanda
– Moderator: Ruth Richardson, Executive Director, Global Alliance for the Future of Food
AGENDA: Available to download here.
The Partner Event will be informed by the launch of the Global Alliance’s Systemic Solutions for Healthy Food Systems: A Guide to Government Action and Approaches to Policy and Practice and Promoting Human, Animal, and Ecological Health: A Shared Vision & Narrative, and build on the One Planet Sustainable Food Systems (SFS) Programme forthcoming publication Towards a Common Understanding of Sustainable Food Systems.
More details on the full programme and list of partner events can be found here.